Garden is a living thing for all the twelve months of a year. So one single aim of Garden Planning is to associate the garden with the house. Everyone has a dream of his own small garden but people really wonder How To Plan A Garden to create beautiful surrounding.
The garden viewed through a window should be natural extension of the house. Eyes should sweep freely across the lawn. The united link between the garden and the house is the Terrace, usually leading from the living room into the garden. Shape and size of the terrace is usually determined by the garden area.
Nature never approved anything straight-long -beach, folds of the hills, meandering of the river, and of the Horizon are living examples. Plant your garden in flowing curves to blend your design with nature, rather than in geometric patterns.
For most of us garden is a source of visual interest, joy and enjoyment. GARDEN PLANNING is most important part of gardening, planning should be such to create a good proportion of enjoyment too.
According to Wikipedia Secret of successful Garden Design is to take stock of all the existing features of the garden inside it, as well as beyond the boundaries.Residential gardens may feature specialized gardens, such as those for exhibiting one particular type of plant, or special features, such as rocks or water element. They are also used for growing herbs ,fruits and vegetables and are thus an important element of sustainability.
The following points are to be taken into consideration while planning Garden if you really wish to learn How to Plan A Garden by your own.
- Any natural undulation in level has to be taken advantage of, never level the land.
- Care should be taken that entire garden is not visible at a glance, it should be full of surprises.
- Color and contrast in the garden is very much desirable.
- Never attempt to complete the design and planning scheme in one complete season.
- Aim of every garden design should be that the garden appears larder than its actual size. One way of achieving this is to keep vast spaces perfectly under lawn, restrict the planting in the periphery. Avoid planting at the center.
- Never put rockery at the base of a large tree.
- Pool in the midst of lawn looks disproportionate
- Draw your design on paper and plot in essential feature- lawn, borders, path, small pool, bridges, rock garden and dividing hedges to be added.
Start Plan A Garden by creating a lawn first. A good lawn is seventy percent garden ,lawn should be in flowing curve.
Curved lawns create borders of varying depth.wide peaks are created where two curves meet.
Where curve sweeps back close to fence the recess is created behind the the border peak. begin the curve from the fence or wall near the terrace or house,make it bold but gently flowing, extend it far enough to have a reasonable area of lawn at the centre.
Run the curve into a soft peak before bringing it back towards the boundary.
It is the second curve which creates a recess behind the peak. At the bottom of the garden carry the final curve-across the width of the garden and join it up with final curve made on opposite side.
Once the curve has been established ,the fences and walls are softened by covering them with climbers, shrubs or by growing hedges against them.
Attractive sky-line is created by planting tall slender trees against the horizon.plant shrubs where inside peak occurs.
Furnish terrace with plant containers. Paths are necessary to give access to service are -accommodating shed and comfort area. Run the path along the border on the shady side.
A garden designer might come across garden site in various shapes and sizes.
- Long Narrow Garden: divide the lawn in two parts by making a curved path of stone or gravel. make lawn a little curved instead of straight.lawn will appear broader.
- Plant some bushes on the curved part or put some statue and perennial lowering plants to make it more attractive.
- Broad Garden: cut a portion on the shorter side and hide it with bushes or another way to increase depth of the lawn is to create number of beds one after other on both sides of lawn.
- Put flower plants of different height, care to be taken to put tallest at the back and smallest in the front bed giving an attractive look.
If the garden is short and wide the vista can be elongated and diverted to one of the corners of the garden by swinging the axis of the lawn by 45 degrees. This will leave two borders.one is broadest near the house and tapers at the bottom boundary and will curve into a narrow planting area by the house.
Create series of beds and behind each other by either side of an open lawn centre to add depth to a short garden.
Walls and Fences
Never neglect fences and walls for a dull demarcation lines rather use them as background for trees ,shrubs and tall perennials.
In a small garden cover the fences with climbing and rambling plant. Some support is necessary for all climbers.the cheapest support being bamboo trellis painted with wood preservative. Stems of Roses can be pushed in and out as they grow.